What keeps you going!





Hope all is well!
I had a chat with my very close friends recently, and we were talking about current stressful situation. One of them asked me “ how do you cope with so many people’s mental health crises”?  Again this question applies to every health personnel, firefighters, police officers, etc. Everyone has to have their way of coping with work stress to keep doing what they love to do, that is helping others. 
I also did soul searching about how I am coping and what keeps me going? 
You read so many articles nowadays about how to cope with stress and people are giving a lot of suggestions. I think each individual has unique interests, needs and those suggestions can’t work until it has been “personalized” by that person. 

So I have decided to share some of my ideas of coping with life/ stress and what keeps me going! I hope that will help my readers to come up with their own coping tools. 

1) Acceptance
 Accepting reality is the first thing I have learned from my experiences in life and learn to make the best out of it.  It could be a health issue, financial issue, relationship issue, work issue or a COVID issue! When you accept the way things are, you have won the battle of not fighting against it. Then you try to find the solution.  For eg, the current situation ( fear/ social isolation) is not something we can end soon. So start accepting it as your current living situation and you will feel the difference. If you don’t see yourself as “stuck” at home but “ safe” at home, your thinking will be more positive. The anxiety level goes down cause you are not trying to “control” things in your mind. You have to see the current opportunity to be with the family, loving your home, be creative, learn to relax and you will realize that life is still the same without too much stress! You can earn money in the future!

2) Meditation
 Meditation is the most important thing in my life. Meditation is the only way I have learned to fight some of my health crises and it has made me stronger to fight with the unknown. Meditation doesn’t mean deep breathing, chanting mantra to me, but it means that whatever I do in life, I do with positive energy and full attention and not hoping to get in return from others, for the most part;) When I want to talk to someone, I pick up the phone and call and don’t wait for that person to call. It is very important to let people know if you have thought of them. Who knows where life will take you!
Focus on your inner happiness, let your ego not affect your decision and everything else comes natural!

3) Connect with family
 Again I am sure everyone is connecting with family/friends in different ways to keep them going. What keeps me going is just laughing with people I love and care about, making sure that I bring some fun moments when I am around them. I do feel that if you care and love someone you have to show it.  Make personalized gift/card/art work for someone you love or care. I find most joy in doing that. 

4) Nature




I don’t know where I would be If I was not connected to nature! Due to the current situation I can't physically visit mountains, rivers, or the ocean but I do things on a daily basis in my routine to connect with nature around me. Watch the sunrise and sunset!
Listen to the birds chirping in the morning.  Watch geese in the lake. Take care of your plants.  Plant a tree! Smell the flowers. Watch flowers blooming. Take a walk in your garden if you have one.





6) Learn new hobbies
 I am always looking around me to learn new things and we are never too old to learn new things. Pick a new hobby that you can work indoor- knitting, new board games, gardening , new indoor sports, playing with your kids, drawing anything. Read a book.

7) Daily Routine
 I have a very routine, structured life for years reg, food, exercise, work, nap, family time, bedtime. When you know your routine, it helps your brain to organize your energy and how to use it. Once in a while it is ok to break it! In the current social situation, we have to see that our life is like that movie “groundhog day”. It is ok to have the same day everyday! Do make a good schedule for your routine and stick to that if you have trouble with passing time. Don’t forget to keep free time in your schedule!

8) Avoid Negativity!
I don’t start my day watching the news, especially when there is nothing good going on around us. Listen to good soothing/ spiritual music, enjoy breakfast with family.   
No need to read every information that is passed on social media. 
If I want to know what is happening around us, I would prefer reading than watching live news. 
Consider  reading positive articles or talking to people who bring positive energy. 

5) Art

Art is everywhere if you find it. Over the years I have done paintings, clay art, sand art, mirror art, paper art, knitting anything I can get my hands on.  I just love playing with colors. Try it sometime and you will feel the inner joy!
You don’t have to be an expert in anything but should have a desire to do something new. Art is the most mindful activity you can find.  I do find it peaceful. Just assign 15 minutes a day to do something creative. 

9) Cooking
I love to cook for family and friends when  I find time. Sometimes I enjoy watching my mom cook who is the best cook! In my opinion
Cooking is a great therapy. If you are not a good cook, that is ok. Help out in cooking or come up with new recipes, look online and cook with your family or bake with your kids.

10) Organize Clutter.
It is very important to have your outside environment organized and not carrying a clutter.  Reorganize furniture to give a new look. Change arts on the wall. Clear room clear mind!

11) Music
I can’t imagine life without music. I admire people who can create music. I love to listen to my son playing violin/piano! Listen to good music or dance with music you love. Learn to sing or play an instrument if you are interested!

12) Satisfy your senses!


That means have more light in the house, keep windows ,doors open when you can. use bright colors for bed sheets, pillow covers.  Wear bright colors! Use a good fragrant spray in the house for aromatherapy! Eat good, healthy and colorful food! 








13) Be Grateful!
I feel more grateful than ever for whatever I have in my life and I hope everyone learns to do that.  No one knows what lies in the future.

14) Be Mindful!
Focus on this time and moment you are in and again focus on positive things in your life at that moment and acknowledge it. Be spiritual if you feel that gives you comfort. 

15) Relax!
It is ok to take a break/nap. Don’t be too hard on yourself. I am sure you have realized by now that you don't need to make millions to be happy and content, so stop worrying about any financial loss you have right now.  it will get better when the time is right. 
MONEY WON’T BUY HAPPINESS!!

16) Work on What you Love!

This is what I am doing! Have a blessed life!!

PICTURE OF THE WEEK


QUOTE OF THE WEEK

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
Maya Angelou 

Photography: Dr G!

Comments

  1. વાહ જાણે મારી કહાની તમારા માં
    અે સાંભળતો હોય અેમ લાગ્યુ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!

Popular Posts